This report was just e-mailed to me from the Socialist Students national organiser, and I post it here to share the news.
Despite the ceasefire, a number of students are still protesting on campuses against the war and against universities links to the arms trade. Occupations of lecture halls involving 40-50 students have taken place over the last week at Kings, Birmingham, SOAS, Essex and LSE making similar demands to the occupation at Kings below. Socialist Students has also played a key role in organising protests of hundreds in Bangor and Keele.
Today from 10 am, 40 students have occupied a lecture hall at Kings College in London. Socialist Students society members are present.
The students have made various demands on the university management relating to the recent onslaught by the IDF on Gaza.
- Immediate withdrawal of the honorary doctorate awarded to Shimon Peres the President of Israel who has led military campaigns in the occupied territories and Lebanon
- That Kings College disinvests from arms companies supplying the IDF and the arms trade in general
- That Kings College fully funds the studies of 5 students from Gaza
- That Kings College makes a donation to organisations carrying out medical aid in Gaza
- That students involved in the occupation are not victimised and suffer no repercussions
020 8558 7947
PO Box 858 London E11 1YG