Tuesday 21 August 2007

Wikipedia

I expect most people will have heard of wikipedia, the online free encyclopedia. I happen to be a fan of it and have contributed to several topics myself. I guess i'm just drawn to the idea of such a large collaborative project. Lately, i've been editing some of the criminology and committee for a workers international articles.

Anyways, the English version is en.wikipedia.org, and the list of articles i've either started or helped develop is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Votemoose.

I was alos wondering what other people think of wikipedia?

3 comments:

MC Fanon said...

Wikipedia is a wonderful resource for obtaining cursory knowledge of a topic or field. What galls me is when people use or link to or reference wikipedia articles in debates. I know that its validity and accuracy has been largely validated and there are checks on blatant misinformation but using something as amorphous and tentative as wikipedia for anything but reading material doesn't hold any ground.

That said, I too have contributed several articles.

Leftwing Criminologist said...

exactly, that's the way i tend to use it to find out more info about a subject.

Duncan said...

I think Wikipedia is great, it's set as my homepage.

I know some of the information is false and corporations have people manipulate articles but this is the internet, if you want consistency and reliability you really shouldn't be on here.